Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Campylobacter and a trip to the Hospital

Dear Family and Friends,

So much has happened since our last newsletter.  Just before we were to depart for California and the Shepherd’s Conference I got really sick.  I just thought it was a simple case of the stomach flu.  But after three days of severe diarrhea, high fever, and passing out three times we thought it might be serious so off to the Emergency Room we went.  I felt so sick I though that I was going to die.  OK, maybe I am exaggerating a bit here, but I am one of those people who never gets sick.  I was severely dehydrated, my kidneys had shut down, and my skin color was very pale.  They immediately began pumping 2 ½ liters of IV fluid into me.  It turns out that I had contracted a bacteria called campylobacter.  Campylobacteriosis is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria.  Most people can fight off the bacteria without any medical intervention, but not this kid.  For the next two to three weeks my energy slowly returned.  Now five weeks later, I feel normal again. We are so thankful to God that we have great insurance and good doctors.

Five days after my ER visit,  I felt well enough to drive and so we left for California 6 days later than planned (although this was God’s plan all along). We made it to Sacramento on Saturday and then on Monday I continued on south.  Dayle stayed  Stephen and Neeley in Sacramento and I continued to L.A. I stayed with our dear friends, Brian and Christine Rush for the Shepherd’s Conference as they live much closer than my sister.  As expected the conference was a wonderful time of refreshment and encouragement.

The ministry at Sequim Bible Church continues.  Since our last newsletter we have begun the FLOCKS home bible studies.  We did not get the interest as we expected but we do have two home bible studies that are going and Dayle will be starting a women’s study next month.

On April 7th, we started the Sunday Evening Family Fellowship.  This is going to be a weekly event with Music, food, fellowship and Bible study. We had 50 people in attendance on our first night and everyone seemed pretty excited about the whole thing.  I led the singing with the guitar and I am teaching a basic theology series on Who is God.  I am also team teaching an adult Sunday School class on James with my good friend Tim Smith. There are several other administrative jobs that I am working on which are all keeping me quite busy. I now have a temporary office in the church building where I spend much of my week.  One of the major tasks is the implementation of a program for first-time guests and follow-up.  I have designed a welcome package and the church secretary, Sandy, is busy doing her graphic arts magic.  The plan is to warmly greet first-time guests, have someone invite them to their home for lunch or ask them out, then either Pastor Shane or myself will deliver a plate of home made cookies  We hope to have everything finalized in a couple of weeks.
 
The church continues to have difficulties from the past that we still have to deal with.  But Pastor Shane, the elders, and I are continually working together to take care of these issues in a Biblical manner.  The church continues to have financial difficulties and we have had to make even more cuts. But we are all very blessed to see the Lord working in His church and in the hearts of His people.  The Lord said the “He will build His church” (Mt. 16:18) therefore we will remain faithful to His Word.

Personally, we are busier than we have been in many years but we love the work.  Dayle is at the church at least one full day every week and some times she is there even more.  It is such a joy to be serving the Lord together,  We don’t even mind the 25 mile drive to church every day.

Financially we have not yet even come close to what is required by our mission.  As of right now we are just under 10% of what is required.


Prayer Requests:
    Please continue to pray for Sequim Bible Church.  Especially for continued unity, love, and growth among the brethren. Pray for the church’s financial situation.
    Pray for Pastor Shane as he has much to do and not enough time in the day to do it.
    Pray for our financial support.


 If you would like to assist financially please send your donations to:
    Northwest Independent Church Extension
    P.O. Box 2225
    Sumner, WA 98390                Phone: (253) 826-7881

Shelley and Pastor Shane
Dayle serving at Sunday Evening Family Fellowship





No comments:

Post a Comment