Thursday, February 25, 2016

Update on Shelley's Mother

Hi everyone,
I have an update for you regarding my mother.  The doctors said that they consider her a hospice patient and she can have another stroke at any time.  They told us that she will never walk again, will never use her right arm again, and cannot swallow.  Mom suffered a severe stroke and there is major brain damage.  She also has a large blood clot in her heart.  She is still somewhat cognizant of what is going on and is able to communicate (barely) and she wanted to go with a feeding tube.  A nasal feeding tube was inserted this evening and we will see if she regains any strength and abilities.  Once the feeding begins she will be place in a nursing facility.  She will require around the clock care from now on.   So we have to figure out which one with the help of a case manager tomorrow.  We will be staying here a few more days and we have canceled our long time planned family vacation at Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound, Washington. 

We hope to return to Orovada by the middle of next week.  Please continue to pray.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016


This email update is really a request for prayer.

The new pastor arrived on February 11th and has begun to settle in quite nicely. This last Saturday he had to take his wife (Flora) to the emergency room in Winnemucca. She was admitted and then transferred to Reno, NV with several issues one of which was kidneys not functioning properly. She is on the mend, but we do ask for your prayers for her recovery. We had planned on departing for Lake Havasu City on March 14th but that is now in question.

Yesterday I got a call from my brother informing us that my mother had a stroke. As of right now she is in Intensive Care. Her entire right side is paralyzed. I did briefly speak with her on the phone and she could barely speak. The prognosis is not good. But the good news is that my brother was able to lead her to the Lord last night. My mother actually made a profession of faith! My brother said, "If it took a stroke to get her to see the light, then so be it!" Amen to that! After she prayed, she fell asleep and was resting peacefully.

As of this writing, there are some other medical complications and we all need to get together to discuss some things. So we will be driving to Los Angeles leaving quite early in the morning (Wednesday). It is a ten hour drive and we will be staying at my brother’s house which is near the hospital. We covet your prayers through all of this.

We also have a Gale Family Vacation planned for next week at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound, Washington beginning on Monday. We have not yet canceled the reservations as we are hoping for the best. We will have to decide within the next couple of days.

Thank you for your prayers!



for the both of us!